Friday, September 14, 2012

anchors in your eyes


4/2/2010

Dear Shipwreck,

Even though you’re over a century old, they say that everything inside you is still intact. Even the crew? Must be lonely. I’ll write again.

4/6/2010

Dear Shipwreck,

So what’s it feel like to have everything inside you still “intact”? That’s what I want to feel like. But I’ve actually never felt my “insides” at all—I think they’re positioned in a way that keeps them from banging around. When I was small, I would jump up and down for hours trying to make them rattle. Nothing. I am an empty rattle.

PS. Please write back.

4/24/2010

Dear Shipwreck,

So I was talking to my priest the other day. He’s worried that I’m having some kind of existential crisis. Meaning: I’m trying to rationalize God by replacing the ephemeral with a tangible object. Or: I’ve replaced one object that’s been hidden from view with another object that’s hidden from view. Or: Every time I speak to you, I’m talking directly to God.

If this is the case: Lord, I noticed you haven’t written back yet.

5/9/2010

Dear Shipwreck / Metaphor for God,

I was thinking of Basho today, and I wrote you this poem:

O, Shipwreck, untouched by moonlight,
molested by billions
of writhing quagga mussels.

Is “moonlight” too heavy-handed? Not believable enough? Let me know what you think… 

6/24/2010

Dear The L.R. Doty,

Sorry I got your name wrong, initially. Apparently, in life, you were known as The L.R. Doty. What an odd name for a boat! (No offense, I’m just sayin’). Did you know there’s a poet named “Mark Doty”? Wait—are you two related? Damn. If so, I’m embarrassed to have sent you my little poem. (Is this why you haven’t written me back?) 

6/29/2010

Dear Mister-Too-Good-To-Write-Anyone-Back,

Fuck you, man. I don’t care if you didn’t like that poem. That’s no excuse for ignoring my letters. I will say this real slowly for you:

Write. Me. Back. You. Dick.

6/30/2010

Dear L.R. Doty,

It’s me again. Sorry about that last letter. I’m just frustrated about some things. I’ll forgive you, if you forgive me. No harm, no foul? Right?

7/2/2010

Dear __________,

Listen. What I was trying to say is this:

When I was a kid, my dad took me to a beach on your lake. I know what it’s like to sink, to be angry because no one on Earth knows if you exist.

There had been a storm the night before, and the ripped-up pieces of crayfish covered everything. Then, I thought that scene was horrific. Now, I wonder if that was you.

"For a recently discovered shipwreck at the bottom of lake Michigan". Matthew Olzmann. 

2 comments:

  1. I just love your blog. I come back every time when I m in search of something different/ smart/ nostalgic, a bit of cinema/a bit of good music/good books... Keep on writing :)

    ReplyDelete