Friday, September 7, 2012

caught in a shout



"Do you ever worry that your political beliefs are just a prefabricated shield that you can hold up in front of your privilege to protect it from the grasping, needy hands of those you’ve ignored and marginalized your entire life? A kind of one-size-fits-all ideological grab bag that isn’t based on legitimate day-to-day living?"

"Are you asking if I have a bevy of easily regurgitated soundbites and stump speeches about a wide variety of perceived social ills that I’ve neither experienced nor seriously researched, that give me a way to pretend I care about making things better without actually having to sacrifice anything or risk more than fleeting mental discomfort?"

"Yes."

"No, not really."

"Cool, me neither." 

No comments:

Post a Comment